Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tackitt Family Vineyards

During my last visit up to the Paso Robles area I had made a return visit to Tackitt Family Vineyards at the request of winemaker Leon Tackitt. My last visit was unfortunately a disappointment for me. A few weeks before my recent visit I received an email from Leon requesting that I come back and sample their wines again.

I am glad I did. Tackitt Family Vineyards is a small, family owned winery. The kind I strive to find that makes well-crafted wines. Their signature wine is Gewûrztraminer. The original vines for this varietal were planned in the 1970s, and to this day still produce one of the finest Gewûrztraminers you can find anywhere in California. At $19 a bottle you cannot go wrong.

Unfortunately during my trip, Leon was not there to walk me through their tasting list, but his father; the vineyards farmer, was there instead. I did enjoy talking to him.

Another wine I enjoyed and purchased was the Bravo Zulu, and Zinfandel/Barbera blend that brings the spiciness of the Zin to the heartiness of the Barbera, a wonderful blend. Only 83 cases were made of this wine, I would suggest getting some before he runs out! I loved the Barbera notes on this wine and think next year he should do a straight Barbera… just for fun.

The final wine I loved and purchased was the EOD Red blend. EOD Cellars wine that is specially bottled to support the Wounded EOD Warrior Foundation. All of the net proceeds of your purchase price will go directly to the foundation. EOD is for the Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit, of which Leon was a member of and the recent Academy Award winning movie Hurt Locker was about.

Check out Tackitt Family Vineyard, next time you are in Paso Robles, they are north a bit, in San Miguel. Tell them I sent ya!

http://www.tackittfamilyvineyards.com/

Cheers-

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment